Friday Dinner and Social
Dinner catered by New Scenic Cafe
Friday evening we’ll venture out from Fitgers to the Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Duluth (UUCD) for dinner and time to mix and mingle. UUCD has long had an interest in being and building green. So before they broke ground for their new building, completed in 2008, they re-committed themselves to maintaining high standards for use of the space and materials which resulted in a building that is an integral part of the ecosystem that surrounds it.
• An 11,000 sf green roof was planted with native grasses.
• Runoff from the roof and the building is directed into the gardens and ponds that are also fed by snowmelt and rainfall.
• A large interior garden of plants, shrubs, and trees help humidify and purify the inside air.
• Energy-efficient heating for a cold climate was achieved through earth-bermed walls and energy-efficient windows. Plans are in place for future installation of solar panels.
• Green building materials and furnishings including double-glazed and argon-filled windows that line three sides of the building.
• Paints, varnishes, and carpeting were specified as low, volatile organic compounds.
• The new building was placed atop an underground parking facility leaving a lighter footprint on the earth.